03 October 2008

Secret Singlet Business

Amanda Jephtha writes.

I dreamed of little singlets, blindingly white, all lined up in a row with matching wooden pegs on the line. These tiny garments, embraced by the sun and smelling like the breeze, would keep my baby’s rounded body warm all day long.

Welcome to reality.

Babies move. And babies get picked up.

No matter how well I tucked that singlet into Lex’s bottoms, it would continue to ride up, exposing his torso to the winter elements. Adjusting this and that all day long soon became a frustrating exercise, for both the babe and I.

So how could I stop the singlet’s bothersome habit?

Singlet onesies.

Singlet onesies are singlets which do up between the legs with press studs. They range in size from 00000 to 2, and can either be gauzy and lightweight for summer or heavier cotton for the cooler months.

Regular singlets can still be used effectively underneath all-in-ones. Although they do ride up during the course of the day, no little back or belly will be exposed. If you, like me, prefer to have everything tucked into place – and have it stay there – you might do without the humble regular singlet.

So if you share my dream of tiny singlets swaying in the breeze, anticipating your babe's arrival, make sure they’re singlet onesies!

6 comments:

icklekids said...

I laughed out loud when I read your opening paragragh! That's so true ... I can't believe how much babies wriggle!

If only I had these singlet onesies for my little boys when they were bubbas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, welcome to the world of blogging. Isn't it funny how we all have these motherhood fantasies (re: your opening paragraph) Mine, I loved the look of cloth nappies all pegged together on the line!!!!

Amanda Gonzalez said...

Thanks, Jodie. Cloth nappies do look so lovely, flapping away symmetrically in the breeze!

These dreams are what makes your first pregnancy so beautiful; the unknown and its anticipation. I just love the innocence.

Unknown said...

If you're lucky and have plenty of time (ha ha!) it's always fun to buy plain white singlets and sew/print designs on them. It's makes the "Best N Less" finest look just that little bit finer...

Anonymous said...

I love the onesies, Amanda! I remember picking up friends' bubbies and hating how their tops or singlets always come out and their soft little backs end up cold! These are a great idea, I'll keep them in mind for when my bub (finally) arrives!

Great first post too! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
Have to agree the onesis are the best. It's so annoying when the singlets ride up!