07 October 2008

Is your nesting affecting your unborn babe?

Amanda Jephtha writes.

It can be difficult to know what to believe with so many study results published daily. Particularly with many concluding in dire consequences. So what should we believe?

I erred on the side of caution when it came to my unborn baby. I read everything and anything to do with pregnancy and babies (and still do).

An article published today piqued my interest. The study found that household chemicals, such as bleach and hair spray, may impact an unborn baby’s lung development. Children who were exposed to more chemicals before birth had higher rates of wheezing and worse lung function as eight-year-olds.

What can we do to help prevent this from happening to our babes?

Like the article says, perhaps we could take example from our grandmothers. Bicarb soda, lemon juice and vinegar make for effective household cleaning. Simply add a dash of elbow grease for pristine results.

If you don’t fancy concocting your own natural household cleaner, you can buy non-toxic cleaners ready-made. Joliv sells both a spray and a scrub for those harder to clean areas.

Paint the nursery in no- or low-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paint. Better still, have someone else paint the nursery. Ensure the room is well aired and make sure you don’t need to use the room for several days.

Ditch the hairspray. Let your luscious pregnancy locks sway naturally.

These measures benefit your unborn babe, those around you, the environment – and your back pocket. And any excuse to have someone else do the hard work suits me!

3 comments:

www.ANISEConsulting.com said...

HI I spent a lot of time volunteering with http://198.96.86.44/~pbso/orientation/1_home/index.html an organisation based in Canada, after my good friend had a still born. When she questioned the doctor what had caused the babies death - he said it could simply have been something that she smelled. Very tragic

icklekids said...

I had a "no cleaning with chemicals" and "no pumping petrol" policy when I was pregnant with my two boys. My hubby this for me and it might sound really "anal" but I figured I was better safe than sorry.

Also, it was nice not to clean for a period of time! LOL!

Amanda Gonzalez said...

Oh, Heather, I simply couldn't imagine what your friend went through. It's always something that plays on your mind when you're pregnant, and naturally think 'it won't happen to me'.

It's great to see support groups in place to help you through the grieving process. No one should suffer silently.